What is ReLEx SMILE?
There are many benefits of ReLEx SMILE. But first, what is ReLex SMILE (Small Incision Lenticule Extraction)? It is a minimally invasive, bladeles and flapless laser vision correction procedure (LVC) that uses 1 femtosecond laser for the entire procedure. It is another type of LVC in addition to LASIK and PRK to correct short-sightedness, long-sightedness and astigmatism. It aims to provide better long-term safety, lesser dry eye and faster recovery.
So what are the benefits of ReLEx SMILE? In this article, we will discuss its benefits and limitations.
Benefits of ReLEx SMILE
- No risk of flap complication: Unlike LASIK whereby a 22mm corneal flap is created, ReLEx SMILE is a flapless procedure with a small incision of 4mm. As such, there is no risk of flap-related complications.
- Single step: The entire ReLEx SMILE procedure is a single laser procedure as patients need not change their position unlike LASIK which requires 2 lasers.
- Shorter treatment time: Compared to other treatments, ReLEx SMILE is a single step procedure that takes 24 seconds.
- Fast healing after surgery: Patients recover their vision quicker with ReLEx SMILE, compared to PRK. With proper care and compliance to medication, some patients are able to return to work the next day.
Limitations of ReLEx SMILE
There are limitations and complications to every Laser Vision Correction (LVC) procedure, but specific to ReLEx Smile, there is one:
- Treatment of refractive errors: At the moment, ReLEx SMILE is only able to treat short-sightedness and astigmatism. The treatment of long-sightedness will be released in the near future.
Ensure you know your eye history before undergoing any LVC procedure to minimise any possible complications and risks and to maximise the benefits of ReLEx SMILE.